INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOP
Association Jant-Bi | Ecole des Sables
The Ecole des Sables, International Centre for Traditional and Contemporary African Dances, is at the same time a school for theoretical and practical teaching, a research laboratory and a place for meetings and exchanges, conferences and artistic residencies.
The School was founded in 1998 by Germaine Acogny and her husband Helmut Vogt. Since then, the School has regularly organised professional training courses bringing together dancers and choreographers from Africa, its diaspora and the whole world. More than 700 dancers from 26 African countries have benefited from a high level of technical training, given by internationally renowned African and Western teachers.
The School is under the Artistic Direction of Alesandra Seutin and Wesley Ruzibiza since 2020.
Photos © Bizenga
- To organise a high quality workshop with dance teachers whose skills are recognised locally and internationally.
- To discover, experiment or deepen the Germaine Acogny technique.
- To discover the richness and diversity of dances from Senegal from a physical, cultural and immersive perspective
- To explore traditional dance practices for the development of new perspectives and uses via creative labs.
- To give the opportunity to discover the world through the guest teachers but also to benefit from exchanges and sharing between participants from Africa and elsewhere through the practice of traditional dances.
- To learn more about the history, context and reasons for the existence of these dances.
- To benefit from talks/seminars on the history of dances in Senegal, the theory of aesthetic approaches.
- To connect with the special energy of Senegalese dances and integrating them into its work.
- Stimulate new creativity through approaches based on the fusion of telluric energy and movement.
- To discover another culture in order to understand and get closer to one’s own culture.
Who Is This Course For?
This training is aimed at professional and advanced dancers from Africa, the African diaspora and the rest of the world and is limited to 40 participants.
The course also invites professionals that are using dance for professional reasons (dance therapy, music therapy, actor-singers, etc.), to enroll if they have an intermediate level of dance of at least 3 years of regular weekly dance practice.
Photos © Bizenga
How to Apply?
Apply by filling in the following FORM no later than 5th May 2023 and attaching the following documents:
– a C.V.
– a motivational letter or video explaining why you want to be a part of this workshop
– a recent portrait
– a one-minute video of a of you dancing solo in your personal style
(YouTube, Vimeo or Instagram link. Please no Wetransfer)
THE COST OF THE COURSE
The course costs 2.000 Euros including:
Accommodation = 392 Euros
Catering = 428 Euros
140 hours of lessons = 1.120 Euros
Taxi from the airport to the School: 60 Euros
Travel, Covid tests, compulsory travel insurance and excursions costs are at the trainee’s expense.
200€ to reserve your place, no later than 10 days after being accepted.
800€ before 19 May 2023.
1.000€ before 16 June 2023.
Full payment by 16 June 2023.
The transaction charges are the responsibility of the participant.
In case of cancellation :
Non-refundable 200€ deposit.
After 16 June until 30 June 2023, 850€ of the total amount will be withheld.
After 1 July the full amount will be withheld.
Update February 4, 2023